Protecting Environment and Children Everywhere
(PEaCE/ECPAT Sri Lanka)
Job Description – Information Officer
Protecting Environment and Children Everywhere (PEaCE) is a registered Non-Governmental organisation under the Voluntary Social Services Organisations Act in Sri Lanka. It is the only organisation within the nation, working exclusively in the field of child sexual abuse and exploitation.
It began in the year of 1991 as a campaign that was part of the ECPAT International initiative to End Child Prostitution, Child Pornography and the Trafficking of Children for Sexual Purposes. As a pioneer organization, it has continued to dedicate itself to the war against Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC) in Sri Lanka for over 25 years.
The programs conducted by PEaCE have included country-wide awareness programs, training, advocacy, legal aid and counselling services. Recently, the organization also began to work against Online Child Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (OCSEA), in order to keep up with the changing times and the new challenges it brings.
PEaCE aims to protect and promote the rights of every child and create an environment in which the safety and security of every child is assured. It is a growing multicultural organization, with a great and friendly working environment.
PEaCE has secured a 2-year grant from the Commonwealth Fund to work exclusively on OCSEA and is looking for dynamic, efficient and committed individuals for several positions.
Primary task of the Information Officer is maintaining the Information Management Unit of PEaCE, collecting information, data analysis and preparation of reports for distribution to relevant stakeholders. The unit will coordinate all research related studies of the organisation. The work is mainly office based, however, the Information Officer is encouraged to attend the programs to get practical experience and feeling for the work and organisation, which will help the Officer to enhance his/her writing. An internet-savvy writer will compose articles for the organisation’s website, post on blogs, and maintain the social media – Facebook, Twitter etc. He/She will report to the Executive Director of the organisation and will work very closely with the other staff. The following are his/her responsibilities in detail;
- Working directly with the Project Manager and Finance and Admin Manager to maintain the basic finances and reporting pertaining to the project which will keep it running smoothly.
- Edit and proof read reports and other official documents, including rephrasing and introducing content to enhance the professional appearance of the document.
- Meet report and proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval.
- Produce quality large and small documents in all our activities utilising given information and doing independent research to enrich the end product with minimal supervision.
- Produce blog articles on CSEC, preparing website content and campaign materials to produce good quality end products.
- Develop, update, manage and coordinate organisation’s website and social media regularly.
- Set up and optimize the organisation pages within each platform to increase the visibility of organisation and to build meaningful connections and encourage different stakeholders to take action.
- Work with staff, external resource teams and other stakeholders to obtain an in-depth understanding of the activities, results and the documentation requirements.
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree in communication studies, journalism or an equivalent professional qualification
- An excellent command of written and spoken English and Sinhala/Tamil.
- Able to demonstrate excellent computer skills.
- Commitment to the Rights of the Children.
- Ability to work independently using his/her own initiative within the scope of responsibilities.
- Be organized with the ability to prioritize work load and work under pressure.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Be future oriented, think strategically and on a global scale
Please download and fill in the Application Form found on this webpage and send it to email@example.com
PEaCE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.