Protecting Environment and Children Everywhere (PEaCE) is the pioneer organisation battling child sexual exploitation in Sri Lanka. PEaCE was launched as a campaign in 1991 as part of the International initiative, ECPAT (www.ecpat.net) to End Child Prostitution, Child Pornography and the Trafficking of Children for Sexual Purposes. From its inception PEaCE is dedicated to combat Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC) in Sri Lanka. It has been conducting country-wide awareness programs, advocacy, and community-based programs in the most vulnerable areas. It has been the only organisation in Sri Lanka working exclusively in the field of child sexual abuse and exploitation.
Primary task of the Information Officer is to establishing an Information Management Unit of PEaCE for collecting information, data analysis and the preparation of reports for distribution to relevant stakeholders. The unit will coordinate all research related studies of the organisation.
The work is mainly office based, however, the Information Officer is encouraged to attend the programs to get practical experience and feeling for the work and organisation, which will help the Officer to enhance his/her writing. An internet-savvy writer will compose articles for the organisation’s website, post on blogs, and maintain the social media – Facebook, Twitter etc. The Information Officer will report to the CEO of the organisation and will work very closely with the other staff. The following are his/her responsibilities in detail;
- Establishing an Information Management Unit
- Edit and proof read reports and other official documents, including rephrasing and introducing content to enhance the professional appearance of the document.
- Meet report and proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval.
- Produce quality large and small documents in all our activities utilising given information and doing independent research to enrich the end product with minimal supervision
- Produce blog articles on CSEC, preparing website content and campaign materials to produce good quality end products.
- Develop, update, manage and coordinate organisation’s website and social media regularly.
- Set up and optimize the organisation pages within each platform to increase the visibility of organisation and to build meaningful connections and encourage different stakeholders to take action.
- Work with staff, external resource teams and other stakeholders to obtain an in-depth understanding of the activities, results and the documentation requirements.
Qualifications & Experience
- With an excellent command of written and spoken English and Sinhala/Tamil.
- Able to demonstrate excellent computer skills.
- Commitment to the Rights of the Children.
- Ability to work independently using his/her own initiative within the scope of responsibilities.
- Ability to work easily with other cultures in difficult circumstances.