Protecting Environment and Children Everywhere
(PEaCE/ECPAT Sri Lanka)
Job Description – Assistant Accountant
Protecting Environment and Children Everywhere (PEaCE) is a registered Non-Governmental organisation under the Voluntary Social Services Organisations Act in Sri Lanka. It is the only organisation within the nation, working exclusively in the field of child sexual abuse and exploitation.
It began in the year of 1991 as a campaign that was part of the ECPAT International initiative to End Child Prostitution, Child Pornography and the Trafficking of Children for Sexual Purposes. As a pioneer organization, it has continued to dedicate itself to the war against Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC) in Sri Lanka for over 25 years.
The programs conducted by PEaCE have included country-wide awareness programs, training, advocacy, legal aid and counselling services. Recently, the organization also began to work against Online Child Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (OCSEA), in order to keep up with the changing times and the new challenges it brings.
PEaCE aims to protect and promote the rights of every child and create an environment in which the safety and security of every child is assured. It is a growing multicultural organization, with a great and friendly working environment.
PEaCE has secured a 2-year grant from the Commonwealth Fund to work exclusively on OCSEA and is looking for dynamic, efficient and committed individuals for several positions.
You, as the Assistant Accountant, will be responsible for the accounts of Project End Sexual Exploitation of Children Online and will also assist in other financial work. You will have to create the reports and submit it to the Finance and Admin Manager, who you will be reporting to.
- Working directly with the Project Manager and Finance and Admin Manager to maintain the basic finances and reporting pertaining to the project which will keep it running smoothly.
- Calculate and check to make sure payments, amounts and records are correct.
- Prepare periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual expenditures.
- Ensure timely and accurate data entry into the computerized accounting system
- Make sure ledger and accounts are accurate, accessible and up to date.
- Take daily backups of the computer system.
- Make all the cheque payments in a timely manner, and make sure the cheque books are kept under safe custody.
- Ensure that internal financial control systems are in place and operating for all bank transactions, and necessary documents are attached.
- Monitor bank balances and keep the Executive Director informed.
- Raise payment vouchers ensuring internal control systems are in place.
- Prepare month-end project financial documents such as bank reconciliations.
- Make sure working advances are settled as soon as the program is over. Report the long outstanding float to Executive Director.
- Prepare all necessary financial documents (voucher, receipt, invoice, ledger, petty cash, journal, bank statements etc.) and support the relevant officers in the conducting of effective External and Internal Audits.
- Assist in the project reports when required.
- File and maintain all documents relating to project accounts.
- Any other duties assigned by the Finance Manager.
Qualifications & Experience
- Accounting degree or an equivalent professional qualification
- Proven knowledge of accepted accounting practices and principles
- A good command of written and spoken English and Sinhala/Tamil
- Knowledge and experience of computerized accounting systems
- 3+ years of experience in the managing of financial systems and financial reporting.
- Experience working non-profit organizational accounting will be an advantage
- Be self-motivated and able to work on your own initiatives
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Organized with ability to prioritize work load and work under pressure
- A strong commitment towards the rights of children
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Widely share your personal vision for PEaCE, while engaging and motivating others
- Be future orientated, think strategically and on a global scale
- Be organized with ability to prioritize work load and work under pressure
Please download and fill in the Application Form found on this webpage and send it to email@example.com
PEaCE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.